If Lesbians Said The Things Straight People Say
- What statements stood out to you most? How did that make you feel?
- Have you ever asked these questions or said these statements? Why?
- Are these questions an evasion of privacy? Why or why not?
STUDY: LGBT Teachers Are Less Likely To Challenge Homophobia In the Classroom
- What risk do LGBT teachers face in the classroom and with employment? Can location affect this?
- What message, if any, does this send to students? What about LGBT student?
- What kind of climate did your high school have toward LGBT students? How do you think this compared with other schools?
- Whose job is it to combat homophobia?
The Tyranny of Buffness
- When you think of gay men what image comes to mind?
- How does body image affect gay men differently than other populations?
- How is masculinity tied to sexuality? Does this have negative impacts on gay men's mental health?
"I'm Good with Myself": A Conversation with Laverne Cox
- Do you see people who are trans* identified on TV? What kinds of shows do you see trans* people on and what kinds of roles do they play?
- Why is visibility of trans characters on TV important? How might a lack of visibility affect trans* people?
- What are the implications of having a trans character played by someone who does not identify as trans*? (e.g. Jared Leto as Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club and Jeffery Tambor in Transparent, etc. )
- How might career paths for trans* actors and actresses differ from that of their peers?
We Think He Might Be A Boy
- What is your opinion on how the parents raised their child?
- Is it the parents job to police their children or to allow for self expression? How does this relate to gender and safety?
- Is this a practice you see as beneficial to children?
- What has this looked like in the long-term? (e.g. Jazz Jennings)
Health Concerns for Bisexuals / Top 10 Things Lesbians Should discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
- Why would the health concerns of someone who identifies as lesbian or bisexual differ from that of someone who identifies as gay or straight?
- What kind of questions do you feel are routinely asked in doctor visits? Do these questions apply to all people?
- How should doctors be more accommodating of the health concerns of LGBT people?
- How might family or economic status affect the health of bisexual people?
- How does the social climate contribute to some of the factors that lead to these health risks?
Why bisexuals stay in the closet
- Where do societal opinions on bisexuality stem from?
- What are some risks bisexual people who stay in the closet might face that their out peers do not?
- How is bisexuality viewed in a campus climate? Are resources or visibility given to people who are bisexual?
How Asexuality Works
- Before reading this, what was your understanding of asexuality?
- Why is it considered odd for people to have little to no sex drive?
- What societal pressures might influence people to believe they should have a sex drive? How might this change between folks of various genders? How does this affect people who identify as asexual?
- What are the implications of having your sexuality listed as a mental disorder?
What Does Chelsea Maning's Gender Have to Do With You?
- What threats do people who are trans* identified face in prison? Is solitary confinement an ethical option for someone who is trans* in prison? If Chelsea Manning serves time in a men's correctional facility, how is she put at risk?
- Should the literal body of Chelsea Manning come into question or be of concern here?
- What in society might influence the way some commentators feel on this issue?
Lesbian Moms Get Air Time on Disney's 'Good Luck Charlie'
- Does the portrayal of lesbian moms on TV display a change in how we view family?
- Why are some groups reacting negatively or positively toward this? How do you view their concerns?
- How would this affect children who have same-sex parents? Do you feel it is important to show a diverse range of families on TV?
No contradiction: I'm black and gay
- How are issues for LGBT people compounded?
- What issues are specific to LGBT people of color?
- How might community and family come into play differently for LGBT people of color than their white peers?
The Unique Challenges Facing Queer People of Color; 17 Photos Reveal Why LGBTQ People of Color of Are #NotTooProudToFight During Pride Month
- What do you know of Pride? Are there any specific images that come to mind?
- Do people of color "fit in" in this image of pride? Why might people of color not be welcomed at LGBT events or functions?
- Do LGBT people of color have space or visibility?
- Reflect on this statement. "Your allies in one situation, could be your oppressors in the next." How does that make you feel?
Queer, Undocumented and Unafraid
- How is immigration an LGBT issue? How does this compare to an issue like marriage equality?
- What issues or problems are specific to undocumented LGBT people?
- Why would undocumented LGBT people be pressured to stay closeted?