Trans Awareness and Empowerment Week
Every November, the Student Life Multicultural Center recognizes Transgender Awareness and Empowerment Week. For 2021, this week is Novermber 15-20. Join us for a week of events that honor, empower, and support those who are transgender and/or non-binary here at The Ohio State University!
Program of Events
OUAB Original: Hidden Jules: A Conversation with Hunter Schafer
Sunday, November 14, 2021, 7 - 8:15 p.m.
Ohio Union - Performance Hall
Join artist and actress Hunter Schafer from the hit HBO series Euphoria to discuss modeling, fashion, and more hidden jewels about her life! This will be a HYBRID event - students will be able to gather and experience the event in person while Hunter will be Zoomed in virtually. This event is STEP and SOE approved. Get your ticket at go.osu.edu/OUABTickets.
Living Authentically Panel
Monday, November 15, 2021, 5 - 6 p.m.
This program will feature panelists who identify as transgender and/or non-binary, discussing topics such as coming out, transitioning, living authentically, and more. RSVP at go.osu.edu/livingauthentically.
Documentary and Discussion: “Gender Revolution”
Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 5 - 7 p.m.
Ohio Union - Suzanne M. Scharer Room
Join the MCC for a showing of the documentary “Gender Revolution: A Journey with Katie Couric.” Following the film, there will be a group discussion of the documentary and how the film covers topics such as sex and gender from both a cisgender and transgender lens. Food will be served.
Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 5 - 6 p.m.
Virtual on Discord
Join Kaleidoscope Youth Center for Genderscope, a discussion group for trans and nonbinary youth, ages 12 - 20. If you're new to Genderscope programming, please click here and fill out this form!
Trans 101 (DICE)
Friday, November 19, 2021, 12:30 - 2 p.m.
This workshop explores best practices for engaging with and supporting transgender and gender non-conforming students and communities at The Ohio State University. The workshop is recommended for faculty, staff, and students. Through this 1- and 30-minute training, participants will gain a greater understanding of transgender identities and the systems of oppression that affect the community as well as strategies for creating gender inclusive spaces. Registration is required at https://go.osu.edu/trans101
Transgender Awareness Week: To Your Credit
Friday, November 19, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
Virtual on Zoom
For Transgender Awareness Week, TransOhio is hosting To Your Credit, a financial empowerment presentation by PNC Bank. Participants will learn how to read a credit report as well as how to build and repair credit history in a trans-affirming setting. Contact TransOhio@TransOhio.org for the Zoom link.
Transgender Day of Remembrance
Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 5:45 p.m.
King Avenue United Methodist Church and virtual livestream
Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR) is an annual observance on November 20 that honors the memory of the transgender people whose lives were lost in acts of anti-transgender violence. T Talks and Columbus Trans Pride March will be holding a recognition event at the King Avenue United Methodist Church (located at 299 King Avenue, Columbus, OH). They are also livestreaming the event on YouTube and will post the link on their Facebook pages. To attend in person, you must be vaccinated and willing to wear a mask. You must RSVP HERE if going in person. Livestream will HERE.
Helping to Keep the LGBTQ+ Community Safer
Sunday, November 21, 2021, 7 - 8:30 p.m.
Virtual on Zoom
In honor of the Transgender Day of Remembrance, join PFLAG Columbus for their event, Helping to Keep the LGBTQ+ Community Safer. The program will feature Alex Anastasia with BRAVO (Buckeye Region Anti-Violence Organization). Please send an email to email@example.com to request the Zoom Link.
Questioning your Gender?
Gender identity is a person’s inner sense of self as masculine, feminine, both, or neither, and how they label themselves, based on how much they align or don’t align with traditional conceptions of gender. See below for resources that may help you as you explore your gender identity.
While every coming out journey is unique, you can still rely on the knowledge of those who have come out before you. Below are resources to assist you in the coming out process.
- Becoming Out: a totally non-exhaustive, step by step guide to coming out
- Coming Out: Living Authentically as Transgender/Non-Binary
- Gender Spectrum - If you are a parent looking for support, a young person looking to connect, a professional interested in learning best-practices, a faith leader seeking resources, or anyone who wants the most up-to-date and accurate information about gender and youth, Gender Spectrum can help.
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) - Advocates to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people throughout the country.
- TransOhio - Serves the Ohio transgender and ally communities by providing services, education, support, and advocacy, which promotes and improves the health, safety and life experience of transgender individuals and communities.
- Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER) - A youth-led organization dedicated to transforming the educational environment for trans and gender non-conforming students through advocacy and empowerment.
The following online resources are available for allies of the trans community:
- GLAAD: Trans FAQ
- Campus Pride: Transgender Allyship and Advocacy
- Campus Pride: 16 Ways to Be a Transgender Advocate and Ally